I shop on Etsy a lot. If I had no self-control, I would shop their more often. And because I shop there as much as I do, I get a lot of questions from my friends… What is Etsy? How do you find stuff there? It is too overwhelming! So here it is, folks! My Etsy tutorial.
So what is Etsy? It is an online marketplace. Some stuff is handmade, some is vintage. It is a place for crafters (did I just make that word up?) and artists and collectors to sell their creations and finds. Much of it (although, admittedly not all of it…) is amazing.
There is a TON of stuff on Etsy. There are literally hundreds of thousands of sellers (290,000+ as of February… that was the most recently number I could find) all with items in their shops. So as I said… there is a TON of stuff on Etsy.
How do I find good stuff?
Sometimes I browse but I rarely buy stuff that way. Usually I go there looking for something. For example (some of my best Etsy finds):
When I was decorating Darby’s room, I went straight to Etsy for almost everything.
- Artwork: Adorable sock monkey and rubber ducky pop art. And my husband joined the fun when he found this artwork of a unicorn riding a bike.
- Something fun to hang over the changing pad: Poms (I chose the colors I wanted)
- Decals for the walls (cheaper than buying more art): Cute modern birdies and a letter D decal (no longer in their shop). I also got to choose all of the colors for these.
- I had the changing pad cover custom made by someone on Etsy (her shop has since closed, apparently). I also had the crib skirt made in the perfect color (deep purple — not the easier color to find)
I needed a blanket for my Ergo carrier, car seat and stroller so I took to Etsy. Found a GREAT one (see the photo) by this seller (she’s currently on hiatus but plans to be back). I wanted a bracelet with Darby’s name on it and found it on Etsy. It is amazing and super unique! Holiday cards? Etsy. Baby gift for someone who just had their third girl — something unique and personalized since they likely already had everything? Found this adorable lovey on Etsy.
Here are some of my other favorite Etsy finds (although I don’t own most of them… yet…) on my Pinterest board.
So back to the original question… How do I find stuff on Etsy? Think about how you shop on Amazon (which I find harder to browse than Etsy). You go looking for something specific and flip through the many different items for sale. It is the same thing with Etsy with one primary difference (and this is my favorite part)…
Etsy sells unique handmade items that are being sold directly by the person or people who created it. I emailed back and forth with the woman who made the changing pad cover to come up with something that worked for me… my holiday cards were completely customized… and those weren’t unique experiences! Just about everything is customizable because things are made just for you. I didn’t have to settle for the mass manufactured stuff that wasn’t *exactly* what I wanted. THAT is what I love about Etsy! Oh, and I’ve never had an issue with quality. It has all been incredible.
When I need something, I go to Etsy first. If it isn’t there or if it is too expensive (handmade stuff does sometimes cost more… although I usually find it to be worth it), then I go to Amazon or whatever. My heart belongs to Etsy.
Other posts by Michelle:
- Top 10 Things My Baby Taught me in 2011 (25hoursblog.wordpress.com)
- A Tale of Two Benches (25hoursblog.wordpress.com)
- Darby, Sammie, and Sophie: A love triangle (25hoursblog.wordpress.com)